Our new ‘Speed Indicator Device’ (SID) is the mobile sign which accurately measures oncoming vehicle speed and displays this to the driver. The speed will only be indicated if it is less than 40 mph. Exceeding this receives a ‘slow down’ message only.
As SID is mobile it will be used in a variety of locations throughout Brixworth. It records data which can then be used to determine the need for introducing other methods of enforcement such as the Speed Camera Van.
The approved locations are
- Spratton Road-Junction with St Davids Road. Lampposts L6 KJ1 and L5 KJ1 (opposite no 65.
- Station Road adjacent to the junction with Church View. Lamppost L2KJ0.
- Harborough Road – No Exit sign – Outside Hampsons Garage – opposite Scaldwell Rd.
- Harborough Road – Junction with Church Street – lamppost L4KE12.
- Harborough Road – Outside Pytchley Cottage – Lamppost L2 KE12.
- Holcot Road – 40 metres county side of the junction with the Ashway ( New Post?)
- Holcot Road – Opposite the Ridings –Lamppost L8KF1
- Northampton Road – junction with Froxhill Crescent – Lamppost L10KHN
- Northampton Road – Far junction with Froxhill Crescent – Lamppost L6 KHN
- Northampton Road – Lamppost opposite junction with Blackthorn Crescent.
- Station Road – Vicinity of old railway bridge using existing poles.
From studies elsewhere in the country, there is concrete evidence that Speed Indication Devices reduce speed and reduces the chance of a collision and therefore could save lives.
SID was installed as a result of feedback from the Brixworth residents and this was financed from the Brixworth Parish Council 2017/18 precept at a cost of £3,600.
The Parish Council’s chosen Supplier was Westcotec.