Structure of Brixworth Parish Council
Brixworth Parish Council is made up of up to fourteen elected or co-opted local residents, and meets at least once a month in the Brixworth Community Centre .Currently the Parish Council meets via video link due to COVID-19. The Parish Council employs a Parish Clerk and an Assistant.
The Parish Council meetings are usually open to the public, unless there is private or confidential business to be discussed.
The Upcoming Events page details when the Council and Committee meeting takes place. Information can also be found on the Council Notice Board located outside K F Troop Greengrocers.
In addition to full meetings of the Council, there are Committees, as show in the hierarchy above, further details are provided below.
|Brixworth Parish Council (“BPC”):
||Please see the Services page for more detailed information.
BPC does not make a final decision on any planning application put before it, it is an advisory body to Daventry District.
However the BPC’s role is important as its recommendations are based on local knowledge including:
• The suitability of the site for the proposed use;
• Conflict with Council or National Planning policies;
• Whether the appearance and size of proposals are in keeping with the village and neighbouring properties;
• Whether the proposal will overshadow or overlook neighbouring properties;
• Whether the proposal will generate noise or disturbance;
• If the access and parking arrangements are safe and suitable;
• The visual impact and loss of trees or hedgerows.
|Media & Communications Committee:
- The Committee comprises of 5 nominated members of the Parish Council and the Clerk. The quorum is a minimum of 3 members of the committee. The meetings are held once a month usually on the third Wednesday of the month. Approved minutes are reported to Full Council for information.
- The Committee provides a decision making forum with regard to social media and communication projects and to report to the full Parish Council. (social media is defined as being any online service which facilitates real-time public conversations and engagement, such as Facebook and Twitter.) The Committee will suggest, facilitate and approve articles and generate communication on agreed social media sites to engage and exchange views with the residents of Brixworth.
- Due to the time-sensitive nature of social media engagement, social media articles and responses may be suggested via email to the Committee and approved for posting by a quorum via email. If an idea for a social media posts is suggested by somebody who does not have the ability to post it once the required number of votes has been determined the original author will email the Clerk with the wording for both Facebook and Twitter and the Clerk will post the article except in emergencies when another Councillor may do it.
- The Committees provides up to date information for Brixworth Parish Council website. All statutory information such as agendas, minutes, etc. are managed by the Clerk. All press releases and articles are approved by the Media and Communications Committee and are then circulated to members of the Parish Council by the Clerk before publication. The Committee also administers all Brixworth Parish Council social media sites. Information placed on social media sites are agreed and administered via the Committee and are subject to their amendments.
- Budget issues relating to the Media are always decided by the full Parish Council.
- Parish Councillors who post information on their own social media accounts are representing their own personal views and not that of Brixworth Parish Council
The Parish Council also has established “Working Groups”. The Working Groups can not make a decision on behalf of the Parish Council. Their purpose is to explore options and present them the to the Council for a decision.
|Finance Working Group:
||BPC is allowed to decide how to spend its own budget and the function of the WG is to advise on financial matters including:
• Drafting annual budgets and precept recommendations;
• Reviewing the end of year accounts in readiness for presentation to the Parish Council;
• Ensuring that we are in line with the official ‘Financial Regulations’;
• Identifying issues which would impact on the agreed budget of the Council.
|Personnel Working Group:
||This is not a public group and its responsibilities include staff development, disciplinary and grievance procedures.